July 16, 11:00 h (July 16, 16:00 GMT)
In the last 24 hours through the Popocatepetl volcano monitoring system, 110 long period events (LPs) were identified, some of these events were accompanied by steam, volcanic gases and ash that drifted W-NW,
Additionally, were count 78 minutes of low-medium amplitude tremor.
At night were observed small glow sources over the crater,
At the moment of this report there is visibility. In the morning were observed emissions of volcanic gases and little amounts of ash that drifted W,
CENAPRED emphasizes that people SHOULD NOT go near the volcano, especially near the crater, due to the hazard caused by ballistic fragments (image 2) and in case of heavy rains leave the bottoms of ravines because of the danger of landslides and debris flows.
The Volcanic Traffic Light Yellow Phase 2.
In case of ashfall, address the following recommendations:
• Cover nose and mouth with a handkerchief or face mask.
• Clean eyes and throat with pure water.
• Avoid contact lenses to reduce eye irritation.
• Close windows or cover them up, and stay indoors as much as possible.
Popocatepetl Volcano monitoring is performed continuously 24 hours a day. Any change in activity will be reported in due course.
The scenarios foreseen for this phase are:
1. Explosive activity of low to intermediate level.
2. Ash fall in nearby towns.
3. Possibility of short range pyroclastic flows and mudflows.
Special emphasis is placed on the following recommendations:
1. Continue with the security radius of 12 km, so that staying in that area is not allowed.
2. Control the traffic between Santiago Xalitzintla and San Pedro Nexapa, via Paso de Cortés.
3. To the Civil Protection authorities, maintain their preventive procedures, in accordance with their operational plans.
4. The population is recommended to raise the attention to the notices of the authorities of their locality and is exhorted not to approach the volcano, much less to the crater.
The monitoring of the Popocatépetl volcano is carried out continuously 24 hours a day. Any change in activity will be reported in a timely manner. The level of the Volcanic Warning Semaphore will depend on the evolution of the activity of the volcano.