October 21, 11:00 h (October 21, 16:00 GMT)
In the last 24 hours, through the monitoring systems of the Popocatepetl volcano, 128 long period events were identified, accompanied by steam, gas and small amounts of ash. Also 245 minutes of tremor and eight explosions two yesterday at 09:18 (image 1) and 09:26 h (image 2) and six today at 04:28 (image 3) , 05:52 (image 4), 06:12, 06:55 (image 5) , 07:00 and 09:30 h, (image 6).
At the time of this report it is possible to observe the crater, any emission with ash would be dispersed to the north-northwest direction(image 7)
CENAPRED emphasizes that people SHOULD NOT go near the volcano, especially near the crater, due to the hazard caused by ballistic fragments (image 8) and in case of heavy rains leave the bottoms of ravines because of the danger of landslides and debris flows.
The Volcanic Traffic Light Yellow Phase 2.
In case of ashfall, address the following recommendations:
• Cover nose and mouth with a handkerchief or face mask.
• Clean eyes and throat with pure water.
• Avoid contact lenses to reduce eye irritation.
• Close windows or cover them up, and stay indoors as much as possible.
Popocatepetl Volcano monitoring is performed continuously 24 hours a day. Any change in activity will be reported in due course.
The scenarios foreseen for this phase are:
1. Explosive activity of low to intermediate level.
2. Ash fall in nearby towns.
3. Possibility of short range pyroclastic flows and mudflows.
Special emphasis is placed on the following recommendations:
1. Continue with the security radius of 12 km, so that staying in that area is not allowed.
2. Control the traffic between Santiago Xalitzintla and San Pedro Nexapa, via Paso de Cortés.
3. To the Civil Protection authorities, maintain their preventive procedures, in accordance with their operational plans.
4. The population is recommended to raise the attention to the notices of the authorities of their locality and is exhorted not to approach the volcano, much less to the crater.
The monitoring of the Popocatépetl volcano is carried out continuously 24 hours a day. Any change in activity will be reported in a timely manner. The level of the Volcanic Warning Semaphore will depend on the evolution of the activity of the volcano.