| December 09, 11:00 h (December 09, 17:00 GMT)
In the last 24 hours the seismic records of the surveillance system of Popocatépetl volcano registered 152 minutes of trains of small exhalations. Besides were recorded 25 low-intensity exhalations with emissions of steam and gas (image 1).
During the night was observed slight glow over the crater (image 2)
At the time of this report it is seen a slight but non-stop emission of steam and gas toward southeast direction (image 3)
Other monitoring parameters remain unchanged.
CENAPRED emphasizes that people SHOULD NOT go near the volcano, especially near the crater, due to the hazard caused by ballistic fragments (image 4).
This type of activity is included within the scenarios Volcanic Traffic Light Yellow Phase 2.
The scenarios foreseen for this phase are:
1. Explosive activity of low to intermediate level.
2. Ash fall in nearby towns.
3. Possibility of short range pyroclastic flows and mudflows .
Special emphasis is placed on the following recommendations:
1. Continue the safety radius of 12 km, so staying in that area is not allowed.
2. Keep the controlled traffic between Santiago Xalitzintla and San Pedro Nexapa through Paso de Cortés.
3. Civil Protection authorities, keep your preventive procedures, in accordance with their operational plans.
4. People, be alert to the official information disseminated.
In case of ashfall, address the following recommendations:
• Cover nose and mouth with a wet handkerchief or face mask.
• Clean eyes and throat with pure water.
• Avoid contact lenses to reduce eye irritation.
• Close windows or cover them up, and stay indoors as much as possible.
Popocatepetl Volcano monitoring is performed continuously 24 hours a day. Any change in activity will be reported in due course.